Too many mental tabs open today.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I love you a latte.



I thought I'd take a break from spewing the deep thoughts in my head and talk about something I like for a change. I can't make any promises though. Sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own. That's a scary visual.

So I absolutely love lattes. Not just coffee, which I also love just not to the same degree. There's something about the combination of caffeine and steamed milk that I just adore. It is not possible to start my day until D hands me a latte in my favorite mug (made by K at Color-Me-Mine years ago). I don't even know how this obsession started, it wasn't too long ago though. I think it might have been a few Christmases ago when I bought D a milk frother. Mornings have never been the same. I used to make fun of those people who walked around clutching coffee-chain-logo'd white cardboard cups like they were holding the holy grail. I am now one of those people.

I have my favorites too, I think the bigger the presence on the block the lower they are on the food chain for me. I really hate Starbucks and will only go in a latte emergency, Coffee Bean is OK, Peet's and Seattle's Best are really good. I love the smaller independent places, Caffe Luxxe in Santa Monica is my favorite, not only because it reminds me of a European cafe but they make the most wonderful designs, very much like the one in the picture above. I try to go to Luxxe as often as I can, in fact I was there today. I should have taken a picture of the beautiful leaf design they made for me. I think I allow myself this delight for a variety of reasons. Sure the whole ritual is kind of soothing, a treat during the day is always welcome and of course the caffeine induced energy boost doesn't hurt. It's really the only thing that I do during the day that is solely for me, unless I'm actually meeting someone for coffee.

Why have I turned this morning staple into my guilty pleasure? I know women who get the same pleasure from weekly spa treatments; facials, massages, mani/pedis, botox, the works. I can't stand being in a spa for longer than an hour so that's out besides, I would only feel guilty after spending a fortune not pleasure. I turn to this simple luxury because I like it, it serves a multitude of purposes and for $4 I feel like I am indulging myself, something that I rarely ever do. Since I thrive while multitasking shouldn't that extend to everything else about me? While it may seem like a frivolous habit to some, to me it's pure heaven. It gives me that "Calgon moment" every time.

It seems silly to obsess over what's basically a cup of coffee with some milk but it gives me unconditional joy, gets the blood flowing throughout my body and makes me feel like I'm actually doing something for me, only me.

All this for the bargain price of $4? Sounds like a win to me.

Regular milk, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment