Too many mental tabs open today.

Monday, August 29, 2011

If you can't stand the heat...


..then do not go to Palm Springs in August! Just got back from an amazing getaway with my loves. People said we were crazy to head to the dessert on the hottest weekend of the year but that's how we roll. No, really. No matter where we go it's always either the hottest or the coldest weather that place (wherever it is) has seen in years.

This summer was a busy one for us and we somehow never had time for a proper vacation. Strangely, none of us really missed it, we were too busy running from place to place, set to set or friend to friend. What we did miss was some family bonding. We were going to go down to San Diego and take K to Sea World (her choice) but when she found out that she had to be 10 to swim with dolphins she opted for Palm Springs. We found a hotel with waterslides and lazy river and booked it.

I'm not going to lie, 115 degrees is hot but without humidity it's not that bad. We managed to get used to the heat and spent the days floating along the lazy river. It was nice to be together with no commitments and very little iPhone use. K was in heaven and immediately made some "best friends." In fact yesterday she had lunch with a cool family and they live close to us. The kids all vowed to see each other again and since I've been awesome at following up on social interactions this actually might happen.

I keep forgetting how fortunate we are to live in a place where it's possible to drive a few hours and feel like you are completely away from home. D and I also made a vow, we are going to take weekends away more often. It's a wonderful feeling to come home feeling refreshed and recharged, I'd like to have it often. Of course sometimes I feel like my life is a vacation so I shouldn't be complaining.

I'm off with K to enjoy the last week of summer vacation in this breezy 70 degree weather. It a;most feels cold!!

No comments:

Post a Comment