Too many mental tabs open today.

Friday, January 14, 2011

President Obama's Full Speech at Tucson Memorial



I didn't want to write about this. I don't even like talking about it. It's one thing to disagree, or be angry at the state of things, I get that. Taking a gun and killing innocent people is an act of cowardice that has no place in our society. I've been obsessively following the coverage on the event in Arizona since first what happened:

K and I were on a beach shoot in Santa Barbara, D was relaxing in the hotel. We were texting back and forth, I was telling him how well K was doing when he sent a quick text about a shooting in Arizona. A few minutes later he texted to say that Giffords had been shot in the head and that she was dead. Receiving news briefs via text isn't the best way to get an accurate description of the actual events and no one on set really knew what was happening. After the shoot and back at the hotel we watched in horror as the events of the morning unfolded live on the news, we didn't want to scare K so we turned off the news. We still weren't sure exactly what had happened or why as we got on the road back to home.

When we finally got home K was busy running around the house and we were finally able to see what had happened. It was awful and we felt helpless as we heard the stories from witnesses.

It wasn't until the next day we found out more about the victims. Fighting back the tears while I watched the story of Christina-Taylor Green was difficult. My heart ached for her family who had just lost their angel. That day I held my own a little tighter and let things that usually bother me just go.

This wasn't going to be a long post. I really just wanted to share Obama's speech. I forgot how he sums up everything so perfectly. Watching him speak made me forget about the current state of our political unrest. I saw a man bring together a nation, a divided nation in shock over a shooting that was politically motivated. There were no sides to take here. We were all on the same side. The side of grief.

No matter which way you vote please take a few minutes and watch this if you haven't already.

2 comments:

  1. (How could I have missed this post from you?!) I always look forward to your thoughts on events such as this heinous one. You're right, out of the bad comes good and we were all united by grief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't miss it, I forgot to hit publish. It's been one of those years already. I miss you, the voice of sanity and reason in my chaotic existence!

    ReplyDelete