Too many mental tabs open today.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Girl power


So usually on Saturday mornings D takes K to karate and then her piano lesson, while I thought I was going to skip karate and lounge around in the morning I decided stick with the plan. Karate was actually fun for me, I got to discuss my favorite books with a cool dad that lives around the corner from us. Then we went to piano, I was early and took K to Taco Bell, apparently that's what they do. Yuk! I was a little worried about the lesson, I know nothing about music. I was told all I had to do was take notes, so that's what I did. I was impressed with K's piano skills, she's doing so well!

After the lesson we went home and changed and then we went to pick up my, (sorry, K would be upset if she saw that) our friend D, she was going to spend the rest of the day with us and hopefully join us for dinner. We didn't exactly have a plan but we wanted to do something outside, not to far with good parking. My car automatically drives to Santa Monica so we went with that. It was fun, we walked around and did some shopping. Originally K and I were going to stay in a hotel and order room service, hopefully this would make up for it. It was fun having a girls day out, we got to know D a little better and she was not scared away by K and I.

We decided to have dinner at El Cholo, a local Mexican restaurant that D have never been to but wanted to try. I was bummed because I could have used a margarita but I have a rule, one drink if I am driving alone absolutely NO drinking if I am driving K. Of course once I'm home I'm free to do what I want. It had been two days with no break or time to myself. I'm not complaining, I know that D is not on a pleasure trip and he would much rather be with us. K is sometimes a handful when we're out with friends, she likes to show off. She also gets a little spirited when she's upset, like when she misses her daddy. The combination was a little tough to take. We were both extremely happy about D's return.

All in all it was great day, productive in the morning, fun in the afternoon and delicious in the evening (El Cholo rules!).

Then I had a heart-to-heart with D, or at least I tried, D was in a place with no cell service (only one of the reasons I can't stand the place). It was difficult for him but he was doing the work and saying all the things that needed to be said. Things that went back over 10 years. He was physically and mentally exhausted and missing his girls. He was happy to hear that we missed him just as much.

While I loved my girls weekend it was definitely missing something.

I'm not one of those girls that stays home with my husband because I have to, I actually want to, I like to spend time with D and it's sad that very few people feel that way. Today hanging with my friend D I learned that she was like me. She likes to spend time with her husband and doesn't get why that seems weird to other people.

It wasn't just girl power today, it was positive girl power. The kind I want my daughter to emulate.

Thanks D, both of you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment